Thursday, May 13, 2010

Size 2


When Harrison was 5 days old we took him to his first doctors appointment. It was our first real time out of the house since coming home from the hospital with him. That morning, Charlie and I both packed the diaper bag with enough supplies to last us a week...just in case. Probably 20 diapers, 2 outfits, a onesie, socks, 2-3 blankets, a container of wipes, a hair brush, a nail file, diaper cream, lotion...need I go on? We dressed the little guy up in his cutest new outfit from Barb & Mark and headed out the door. Baby...check, car seat...check, purse...check, wallet...check...calendar...check, keys...check. Out the door we went. It was such a neat feeling to get in the car and headed out the door as a family. We didn't know what to expect at this doctors visit but we surely had everything we needed!

When we walked into the doctors office I had another fun first! I got to write down Harrison's name on the sign in sheet. Patient: Harrison Howlett. Relationship: Mother (SO FUN!) Minutes after that fun moment another new mommy walked in. She looked great and had a precious new baby girl and a very cute diaper bag...same diaper bag as us actually only pink instead of blue. Charlie and I both commented to each other how cute the baby was and it made us both think of our diaper bag. Bummer....we must have left it in the car. "Charlie, would you mind going to the car and getting it for us. " Charlie responded with..."Did you put it in the car?" me..."no?? Did you???"

OHHHH NO!!!!

There was no time and really no need to go home and get the diaper bag. We had the most important things with us...the baby, the mommy (I am breastfeeding), and the wallet.

Moments later, as if it was perfectly scripted in a movie, Harrison decided he was done wearing that diaper, that cute new outfit, and the blanket we had on top of him. You guessed it...he had the biggest dirty diaper a 5 day old could possibly have. By this point, we had to laugh so we did not cry. Shortly after we were called back to the room. A sweet nurse came in and told us it was time to weigh and measure him. She told us to get the baby naked and we could put him in a clean diaper and clothes when we were finished. The two of us just started laughing and told her how we didn't have another diaper, any other clothes, or any wipes for that matter. She kindly got us a diaper that they had at the office but the smallest size they had was a size 2 (made for babies that weight 12-18lbs!)

After weighing Harrison (who was proudly back up to his birth weight), we put this gigantic size 2 diaper on our 6 pound 13 ounce baby. It literally went from under his arms to below his knees. We wouldn't have to worry about anything escaping this diaper and who needs clothes when the diaper is the size of you! We had a wonderful doctors visit and our doctor agreed with us that at least we had remembered the most important thing...the baby!

Today this story came full circle. Harrison is now in a size two diaper... and it fits perfectly. Our little boy is getting bigger and bigger. I can just remember how tiny and silly he looked in that size 2 diaper when he was a precious newborn baby. I know someday I will look back on a size two diaper and think it is tiny- but today I cannot believe how big my little boy is getting. To me, like all the other moms say, he will always be my little boy.

0 comments: