Friday, September 25, 2009

17 Weeks...


How your baby's growing: Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — his/her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs 5-6 ounces now,the size of an onion, and around 5 inches long from head to bottom. The baby can move all it's joints, and the little sweat glands are starting to develop.

Now that your baby can hear it can also be startled. Loud noises such as the doorbell ringing or the dog barking may startle the little one. Get him or her used to such noises- for instance babies that regularly hear the dog barking will become babies that sleep right through a dog's outburst. (We need this with our barkie little pup)

The baby's eyes are making small side-to-side movements and can perceive light, even though the eyelids are still sealed.

Most of the baby's survival reflexes are being perfected in-utero right now. The fetus' circulatory system, urinary tract are working and the baby can even rhythmically breathe in and breathe out amniotic fluid. His/her lungs are developing and growing stronger everyday in order to prepare for life outside the womb.

The baby can now feel pressure from our touch. If you or your husband touch or feel your stomach, you will feel the baby's slight reaction.


I got a book called Expecting-Praying through your child's development- Body and soul. Here is the prayer for this week.

Week 17 Individuality-Fingerprints:

"Finishing up Baby's fingerprints and toe prints is on your creation agenda this week, Lord. I wonder how in the world you engrave those swirls and whirls and lines on those tiny little fingers and toes. A masterpiece that you will never again replicate exactly. I stand in awe.

Oh, God, would you help my child embrace his/her uniqueness? I know that peer pressure starts at an early age. I know he/she is going to be faced with the desire to "be like everybody else." Will you help me instill in him an appreciation for his/her distinctive traits, that combination of qualities that sets him/her apart?

Help the baby to delight in who he/she really is delight in who others are, and be thankful that you bestowed different gifts upon us all. There are few greater blessings in life than to be perfectly content with who we are and what you have given to us.

I cannot wait to meet this little baby that you have fearfully and wonderfully made! AMEN!"

I am going to start adding these prayers to our weekly updates so y'all can be praying for the babies growth too!

Well.....in 6 days we will know if baby Howlett is going to be a little baby girl or a little baby boy! I cannot wait!!!!!!!! It will be so nice to be able to pick out baby stuff and shop for the nursery! I also cannot wait for us to stop blogging "he/she"!! haha! My nausea is almost gone and I am getting more energy every day! I have felt the baby kick a couple of time now. The first big kick was last week when I was testing the babies hearing. I had the heart beat of both Courtney's baby and our baby on my phone and I put the recordings to my tummy and a few minutes of the baby listening to the heartbeats I got a huge kick! I decided it feels like someone is popping popcorn in my stomach! Since then I have gotten a few little kicks but none as big and powerful as the first one. I cannot wait until I can feel it more and more! Charlie felt little kicks last night when we were letting the baby listen to a new Steven Curtis Chapman song. It is so amazing having a little life growing inside of you! I am loving this! Hope y'all are doing awesome! I will give another blog update on Thursday with the news from the doc, new ultrasound pics, and the BIG NEWS!! BOY OR GIRL!!??!?!?

LOVE Y'ALL!!

0 comments: